‘What is Red Rice?’ The very first question that comes to our mind. Red rice is a type of rice which get its colour from anthocyanin content, an antioxidant pigment that dyes the bran of the rice. It has nutty flavour and also has the highest nutritional value. It is high in fiber, complex carbohydrate, vitamin B and minerals, particularly iron, zinc, potassium and what not! Therefore, it is an ideal for people who want impressive amount of nutrients in their body.
- 90g Red Rice
- 1L Milk
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Elaichi Powder
- Wash thoroughly and soak your red rice for 30-60 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Take thick bottomed vessel or kadai, boil 1 cup of milk on low heat.
- Add the red rice and cook it on low flame until it is thick and creamy. Make sure to mix your rice with milk and avoid getting lumps.
- When the red rice starts boiling, add sugar and keep stirring.
- Once everything is cooked add elaichi powder for taste.
- Now that your kheer is completely cooked. Mix well, remove from flame.
- Garnish your kheer with dry fruits and serve warm.
- You can use jaggery powder instead of sugar.
- Add nuts and dry fruits of your choice.
- Red rice takes longer time to cook than other rice varieties.
- It will take roughly 15 minutes to prepare the ingredients and about 30-45 minutes to cook.
- The kheer can be served to approximately 6 people.
- You can either roast or fry your nuts and dry fruits in ghee.
- The red rice kheer can be served warm or chilled.